Subject: [Leica] Re: more on Japan vs.Germany in Korea
From: LRZeitlin <LRZeitlin@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 17:19:18 EDT

Mark,
Discussing patent rights after a world holocaust is like discussing virginity
amoung whores. All U.S. Leitz and Zeiss patents were seized by the U.S.
government as enemy property during WW2. The government authorized use of
those patents to U.S. concerns (Kardon camera, Zeiss pattern binoculars by
Bausch and Lomb, GAF Anscochrome film). Japan was occupied by U.S. forces from
1945 through 1952 and the Japanese optical industry was restablished under
control of the occupation government. American funds and production equipment
were used to jump start the economy. The Marshall Plan did the same for
Germany. Japanese cameras and optical equipment were marked "Made in Occupied
Japan" until 1952. Remember who started WW2 and who won it.

Furthermore the hegemony that Japan enjoys in the photographic industry did
not spring full blown from the brow of General MacArthur. The Japanese earned
it by producing innovative equipment at an affordable cost while the German
industry dissipated its presence by clinging to outmoded designs which could
not compete economically in the marketplace. It is the consumer who decides
the fate of the industry, not you or I. After all, if it was the only best
equipment that decided the outcome, we would all be using a Macintosh
computer.

Finally, optical design is a relatively mature art. Most lenses marketed today
are derivatives of only a few basic designs dating from the late 1800s and
early 1900s. Patents covering these designs have long since expired.
Specifically these include the Petzval portrait lens (1840); von Hoegh's Georz
Dagor (1893); Gauss type symmetrical lenses including Rudolph's Planar (1896),
and wide aperture Gauss derivatives such as Lee's Opic (1921), Merte's Biotar
(1924) and the Leitz Summar (1934). The most influential lens of all was the
revolutionary Taylor triplet (1893), the grandaddy of the Tessar, the Xenar,
the Elmar, most lenses used on P&S cameras, and ultimately the Sonnar. There
is no shortage of good lens designs nor are there any secret optical computing
techniqies. Prior art is so extensive that any company will have difficulty
proving patent violation and few try. Zeiss, in fact, had the reputation of
appropriating foreign designs and incorporating them into Zeiss products
without acknowledgement or royalties prior to WW2. What goes around, comes
around.

The only reason why Zeiss created the complex innards of the Contax was that
Leitz had German and worldwide patents on the mechanisms of the Leica and had
prempeted all the simple solutions. I have disassembled and repaired a Contax
I and I assure you that it is a machinist's nightmare. No sensible optical
engineer would design a camera that way. Nikon clearly had the right idea in
scrapping the Contax shutter and adopting a modified Leica (1932) design.

Let me repeat myself. During the period I was in Korea (1951-1953), the
Japanese equipment was simply better. Now I love my Leica equipment (and some
Contax equipment too) but I see it for what it is, beautifully made artifacts
representing the best of mid century machine technology. The world has
changed, perhaps not for the better, but Leica has not.

Incidentally, the generally accepted dates of the Korean war are from 1950,
when North Koreas invaded the South, to 1953, when the Korean armistice was
signed in Panmunjom. The states of North and South Korea were established in
1948. I believe the first f2.0 Nikkor lenses were not made until 1949 and the
f1.4 not until later. So what were these guys using in 1947?

Regards - LarryZ