Subject: Re: [Leica] Copy Superiority/lack thereof?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 00:30:17 -0400

At 06:59 AM 5/12/98 +0800, Sean Dooley wrote:
>I doubt very much whether the Japanese materials were from the same
source, or
>that their manufacturing techniques were identical, so I am sure the optical
>performance of the lenses was different.  Whether this means better or
>worse.....well, you know what they say about beauty.

I understand that, until 1950 or so, the Japanese were using Schott optical
glass imported during the War and remaindered from military stocks.  In
other words, they were using the very same glass which Zeiss had used
before the War.

It is a relatively simple matter to look up the formula of a lens in a
patent and to translate this by checking out the glasses listed in the
manufacturer's glass catalogue.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!