Subject: [Leica] Re: Copies vs. original
From: LRZeitlin <LRZeitlin@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 12:00:50 EDT

Marc,
OF COURSE A COPY CAN BE BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL.  Better materials can be
used. Manufacturing tolerances can be tighter. Quality control can be better.
More rigerous inspection criteria can be used. Or just plain luck may be
operating so that a run of copies is better than the average of the original.
If labor costs are low enough, you can throw away 50% of a manufacturing run
to get a high quality output despite production inadequacies.. The Japanese
accepted Deming's approach to manufacturing quality control long before the
Americans. That's why Toyota is the best selling car in the U.S. OK - I know
most of them are made here now. That's because we have become a low cost labor
market. How long before Leica establishes a factory in Kentucky?    -  LarryZ