Subject: Re: [Leica] Need Help With Film & Airports
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 16:29:05 +0100

Richard Clompus wrote:

>I understand the new xray scanners for checked luggage will probably fry my
>film.  I plan on carrying the film in gallon sized zip lock clear plastic
>bags for hand inspection.
>
>Here's the question:  Do I open up all the sealed boxes of film and keep
>the plastic cannisters separate from the actual film - or should I keep
>everything sealed in the cardboard boxes?

Richard,

If you require the plastic film containers put hem empty into your checked
baggage and place all the film (out of containers) in clear zip lock
freezer bags and carry the film on board the palne as hand baggage.

When you check in just take the freezer bags and put them into the trays
for change, keys etc. and have them handed over to the other side of the
"hand baggage" scanner.  Look like you have done it this way a thousand
times and 99.9% of the time the attendant security person will pass it over
to the other side without any scanning.

When you get to your destination you can then replace the rolls into the
plastic containers if you really need them.  But you must remember that
when you come home it is exactly the same routine as going. Only now in the
freezer bags they are all "exposed rolls!"

Everything I have been able to find out about the 5000 checked baggage is
bad news for checked film. And it seems nobody in authority really cares
that it frys film so we are left toour own devices to carry it all on as
hand baggage.

Never mind any duty free stuff any more if you have to carry 1 or 2 hundred
rolls of film, you know what your going to be carrying in those plastic
hand bags! :)

ted