Subject: RE: [Leica] Vertical shutter in a M-6, heresy
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 20:32:37 +0200

On Monday, April 06, 1998 3:34 PM, BIRKEY, DUANE [SMTP:dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec]
wrote:
> If you want a 1/250 sync, you need a vertical shutter.  While I would
> like metal curtains in the M-6.  Would a good vertical shutter unit would
> actually fit in the current M-6 shell. My understanding is that there
> isn't space for extra electronics.   Besides that, it would destroy some
> 70 years of the Leitz shutter design tradition:  committing heresy by
> collectors standards at least.
>
> For shooting with an M-6........  Flash?????  What's that??????

Strange point of view. Why forbid flash ? And if it is true that 1/250 th
flash sync requires a vertical shutter, such items are made and do not
mobilise too many cubic centimeters: the 1/200th sync of the G2 shutter
shows space/volume is not the problem.

BTW high speed flash sync suits even better the Leica M than other systems:
such a speed enables the use of larger apertures (which are readily
available with the M range) and thus smaller flash units. It would be great
to have a nice compact flash unit for fill-in. And it would even be greater
if the flash was managed  automatically TTL. This would improve the M
useability rather than reduce its seduction. Other things remaining equal
of course (silence, rangefinder, viewfinder, size). A shutter upgrade would
not have negative consequences on the traditionnal advantages of the M
system.