Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica the first candid?
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 21:50:56 +0100

Eric wrote:

>Yep, And one reason he got in to diplomatic events was he would dress in a
>Tux. Of coures, nowadays, photojournalists wouldn't be caught dead in a
>tux, it would seem, so no wonder they don't want to let them in>>>>>

Eric,

One of the failings of the 60's & 70's was the lousy "outfits" many
photographers allowed themselves to wear!  Much of it came from the old TV
program "Lou Grant" about a newspaper and its' staff.  The photographer,
"Animal" always looked like he was shot out of a cannon sideways with a keg
of nails! :)

And I'm afraid he influenced many a shooter into thinking he could take
better pictures by looking like a bum! However all it did was create a
great deal of,

"If you are going to look like a bum, you are going to get treated like
one!" And the image of news photographers went down hill and so did the
respect given to the profession.

One of the things that got Soloman into many functions was simply that he
looked like he was supposed to be there and got in! Obviously today things
are much tighter, however the same clothing situation applies. If you go to
cover a high society event you'll get better cooperation by wearing the
right clothes and looking like you are "supposed to be there" even if you
have a couple of Leica M6's on your shoulders.

Been there, done that.....it works! :) And for those who don't think
clothes can make a difference, try covering a $1000 a plate fund raiser of
high rollers and see what happens. :)  Wearing a tux and carrying one M6
with a Noctilux and you've got it made! :) They don't have a clue you are
shooting and you just float around picking off the "candids!" :)

ted