Subject: [Leica] Re: Flashes
From: Yods1 <Yods1@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 03:59:16 EDT

I heartily recommend the Nikon SB flashes set to their automatic settings, and
the much-smaller SB-28 looks like a gem. They're super-accurate--I often
preferred the flash on auto over TTL because it's easier to shift the aperture
ring for an urgent exposure adjustment rather than fiddling around with those
buttons on the back.
But one of the best things about them are the rotating heads--since so many
walls and ceilings are light-colored you can point it anywhere you want for a
soft, off-camera bounce. I was shooting an obtuse bounty hunter once who
mistakenly thought his "skip" was in an empty apartment (the wrong apartment,
on top of it all) and I realized that he was winding up to kick the door in. I
had just enought time to swing the flash head around toward an opposing white
wall across the alley, open up, and whack, the latch shattered and on film
looked like I'd used a big soft box. Even suspicious looking. But the shot
would have been ruined by direct light from a flash that didn't swivel.
BTW, I finally talked someone at Cal's Cameras into slipping batteries into an
R8 so's I could try it out, and I'm mightily impressed. The delay isn't as
bad, but the absence of mirror shake on the upswing is amazing. Kinda bulky
but now I'm in a quandry, worried about missing those moments when I'm wide-
open with an M. Luckily I have time 'till I've got the money for my purchase.
Any word on whether they'll be coming out with ASPH lenses for the R's?
Dave