Subject: Re: [Leica] Roller processing
From: Paul and Paula Butzi <butzi@halcyon.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 07:35:16 -0700

At 06:30 AM 5/14/98 , you wrote:
>Dear LUG,
>
>I realize this is a bit off topic and my failing memory seems to
>indicate that this topic has been discussed once or twice already but
>here goes...
>

>I presently hand process my b&w on steel reels in steel cans. I'd like
>to use a motorized base and continue to use the same cans and reels. I
>do both 35mm and 120.

It's probably possible to use one of the simple motorized bases to spin
standard Nikor/Kinderman/whatever size stainless tanks.  Look for a base
which reverses every couple of revolutions.  Be aware that short tanks will
probably not fit on the base (i.e. one or two reel tanks).  The Jobo system
tanks can probably be used on a different roller base.  With the Jobo,
you use only half as much chemistry as with inversion, so you might
give that a try with whatever you end up with - watch out for exhausted
developer if you do.  You might run into problems with the reels spinning
in the tank - Jobo tanks are designed to prevent this.

One thing you'd give up by not using a Jobo is the tempered water bath -
although it would probably not be hard to duplicate if you could submerge
the motorized base.

> Does anyone do this? Do I have to go to a
>dedicated system of base and drums? Can I mix and match equipment? My
>assistant would also like to process his 4x5 and 8x10 sheets this way
>rather than tray processing as he has been doing.

If you're going to process 4x5 or 8x10 film, I really think you should at
least
look at the Expert series drums from Jobo.  You could probably use the Expert
tanks by rolling them back and forth in the sink (if you have a long sink),
and
the evenness of development is flawless.

If your assistant is just looking for a good way to get out of trays, have
him/her
call Darkroom Innovations and buy a set of BTZS tubes.  The results are
comparable to the Jobo from what I've seen, although I haven't tried them
myself.

>I'd prefer not to get something as involved as a Jobo system with lift,
>bottles and such although I'd consider using their drums if I had to.
>And I also realize that the larger formats will require at least larger
>tanks and accompanying equipment.
>
>Those of you who use motorized bases and roller drums for processing,
>would you please relate your experiences. Also, any help on processing
>time adjustments would be appreciated.

I've got a Jobo CPP-2 equipped with a lift.  I use it for all my B&W film,
ranging
from 35mm thru 4x5.  If I did enough color to make it worth stocking the
chemicals,
I'd do color in it.  It was egregiously expensive but it's well built, it
takes the sting
out of processing film, and the results are superb.  I'd do it again in a
heartbeat.
I know a number of folks who own a Jobo - all of them balked at the initial
price
and all of them would never give it up.

I'm afraid I can't help with processing time adjustments.  I've been using
the Jobo
so long I don't recall development times for hand tanks.

- -Paul