Subject: Re: [Leica] Flash for M's (Lumedynes)
From: "Harrison McClary" <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 21:11:58 +0000

Bill,

The Lumedyne system is a nice system and they are supposed to have
excellent customer service. I do not personally use them, I have the
dynalite uni400 and jackrabbitt pack for battery strobes, but a very
good friend has them and he loves them.  They are light and easily
transportable.  On first look they appear fragile, but they are quite
rugged. He travels all over the world and he has had no major
problems with them.  The worst thing about them and the jackrabbit
both is they are slow to cycle and it is hard to tell when they are
full recharged.  The Lumedynes have an audible system to let you know
they are up, but if there is any background noise at all you will not
be able to hear it.  The jackrabbit is even worse, all you get is a
little light on the battery you can't see unless you are right on top
of it.

I have found that I use a 283 on a lightstand tripped with a radio
slave for small local lighting.  This works really well when shooting
outside and you want flash fill,but don't want the flash mounted on
the camera.  I do this quite a lot and it works really well, esp if
shooting a backlite subject.  And if you get the quantum Turbo it
will easily keep up with speed shooting.

AFAIK you can use the infared with the Lumedynes, I know you can use
a radio slave.

Oh yeah, you want to get the charger for the batteries that turns
itself off.   It costs a little more, but is worth it since you can
ruin a battery if you forget to unplug it.

Bill Franson wrote:

> I'm following the flash threads with interest. Does anyone have experience
> with the Lumedyne system? And used in conjunction with an M6? I try
> whenever possible to use my M4 or M6 on editorial projects and would rather
> not have to pull out my Nikon when the going gets dark. I like to get the
> flash off the camera, especially when shooting verticals. I've used a Nikon
> SC-17 cord and attached an SB-24, Vivitar 283, or Vivitar 1900 on to it. I
> lose the hot shoe though, which rules out using my 21mm. A Lumedyne head
> looks light, easily cupable and hand held, and can be used bare bulb. Any
> thoughts, comments? I'd love to use an infrared transmitter so I could lose
> the sync attachment. Possible?

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto