Subject: RE: [Leica] SB flashes and large apertures
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 07:55:52 +0200

On Thursday, May 14, 1998 4:42 PM, Larry Kopitnik
[SMTP:kopitnil@mra-inc.com] wrote:

> For a flash unit it use a Nikon SB26. It is bigger than I like and I will
> look for something smaller one of these days. The advantage of this unit
(
> and probably with lots of them if I would look ) is that on manual mode I
> may dial in any f stop that I choose. I am not limited to just 1, 2 or 3
> stops like so many of the smaller units. I will dial in from f 1.4 to
f64.

This is not what I remember: You cannot dial in f1.4 with ISO 400 film. Not
even with 200 ISO. And, if I remember well, not even with 100 ISO (not sure
about this last one). And I found that was a real limitation for the SB/M6
combo. That is the main reason I chose the 40MZ3: it does manage wider
apertures, which, due to the M's archaic flash sync, allows fill-in in very
low light conditions but not a lot more. In daylight, you have to close
down the lens and in those conditions there is no difference between SB and
40MZ: their power is needed.