Subject: [Leica] [leica] Beginning Pro
From: Robert Beaudoin <bussbearm@cedep.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 17:53:46 -0400 (EDT)

Bonjour Marshall et les autres,

  I found your question very interesting and thought I would give you a
different point of view.  When you take photographs of struggling young
bands, you must also keep in mind the situation they are in. They very often
are on a  tight budget and cannot pay much.  I know, I was a drummer in one
of those bands.  So it could very well be that they are in a situation where
every penny counts, it does not mean they do not value your work.  You might
want to remember Astrid Kirsherr s story.  She is a well known german
photographer (she also used a black MP with Leicavit and possibly a  35 mm
Summicron), in the early sixties she took numerous photographs of a
struggling young rock and roll band in Hamburg. They were pennyless and
strangers in a new city.  I believe they were from Liverpool.  Astrid never
charged them anything for the photographs and developped a personal
relashionship with them.  Her photographs were finally published throughtout
the world and she became very well known.  She never earned much money from
her photos but she got worldwide recognition.  So in your evaluation of how
much you should charge for your services,  you might want to consider the
long term advantages of the simple distribution of your photos to aspiring
new musicians.  You never know, they might call you back when they make it
big.  Of course, you cannot do that every single time.  But once in a while
be nice to pennyless musicians.  Not sure of that Liverpool band s name.

Regards,

Robert

P.S.  Always keep the negatives.