Subject: [Leica] Trip to US
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 00:13:01 -0400

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Ferdinand U. LuDo wrote:

>I'm planning to go to Yosemite as well and is 35mm wide enough for this
>scenic place? which lens would be most widely use for this place?

>How is the weather conditions in these areas now?

This has been an exceptionally cold and wet winter in California and =

it ain't over yet.  Here in Sacramento we've had only a handful of =

days this year with temperatures in the 80s (Farenheit) where in an =

ordinary spring we should have had several weeks in the 90s.

Yosemite Valley's waterfalls will be thunderous most of the spring =

and summer.  I'd expect vegetation to be very lush this year.

A word of caution: a sudden warm rain will melt the huge Sierra =

snowpack in a HURRY causing dangerous flooding in Yosemite
valley.

There is no lens too wide for Yosemite but a 35 should do well.  A 28
would also work well.  I suspect that a wider lens would work best
from one of the high overlooks such as Glacier Point or from the top
of Half Dome.  The road to Glacier Point may be open but the trail
to the top of Half Dome probably will not be open for a while.  BTW, =

the Half Dome trail is very strenuous as a day hike and last I heard =

is available on a reservation-only basis.

- -Doug