Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M3 questions
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 11:36:32 -0500

>- Manual for the M3.

Not too hard to find at swapmeets, used camera dealers etc. John Craig (on
the web) may have one.

>Being new to the rangefinder realm, I am trying to find
>out the corresponding focal length to the frames in the view finder. I seems
>that the permanent one in the finder is for the 50 mm, teh two smaller ones,
>90 mm and 135 mm. Correct? What about the 35mm? How much do you loose on
>the neg?

Correct. For 35mm you can either buy an older "RF" 35 with goggle eyes
which compress the 35 view into the 50 framelines or get a normal 35 and an
auxillary finder. The RF lenses are avialable at f3.5, f2.8, f2, and f1.4.
My wife recently purchased an M3 with an RF 35 Summicron (f2) and it works
very well. Leica BL finders in 35mm are getting quite expensive and
although very bright are somewhat of a hassle in use.

>- The lens a some small scratches on the front element, otherwise perfect.
>In addition to flare, what is the impact of these scratches?

The proof is in the pictures. I find it amazing how bad some lenses can
appear and still produce fine images.

- ----
Davison Middle School                  preferred--->
<wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
600 Dayton, Davison, MI 48423                        <kwilcox@gfn.org>