Subject: [Leica] Elite chrome 200
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <n5xrd@telepath.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 15:32:26 -0500

Lugs,

I have been looking for a single film for general use since I now have only
one M6 body.  I have been looking at Kodachrome 200, E-200, Elite II 100,
since I have to be able to use it outside and in low light on trips.

E-200 is a new film and looked great except I had problems with a red base
which has never been explained.  Sent it to Kodak, who has acknowledged
receiving it, but have never heard back from them.  White whites and good
color balance, but no one here in Norman handles it.  Didn't like Elite ii
100, too red.  Tried Elite II 200 thinking that it was the same as Elite
chrome 200, which has just come out.  Found out that the Elite II 100 and
400 have just been renamed as Elite chrome 100 and 400, and is the same film.

BUT,  also found out that Elite chrome 200 is another breed of cat from
Elite II 200.  As far as I can tell, it is the consumer version of E-200
and uses the same technology.  I just received my slides back and it is
different from Elite II 200.  It looks just like the E-200 (except for the
red base???) great whites, good color saturation - but not too much.  Very
good in mixed light and great skin tones. I shot the film with my M6 and my
new 35/1.4 ASPH - great combination.

Only thing about this film is that outside in the sunlight the e xposures
are like f/8-f/16  at 1/1000 to 1/250 or so.  Not bad for travel pictures -
hard if you want to use a large f stop.  Great for interiors.

I think that this will be it - until the great yellow father in Rochester
comes out with Kodachrome 100 (this fall??).  I find Kodachrome 200 a great
film also but a little too warm.

Anyone else use the Elite chrome 200???  It is a good combination with
Leica lenses.

Dick Hemingway
Norman, OK