Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 0,85 only in black, was: new M6 user questions
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 00:04:23 +0100

B. D. Colen wrote:

>Precisely what was or is the M6J?
>I saw the comparison chart posted a while
>back, but...
>Was this one of the limited edition commorative cameras,
>or what?
>And what was the point?

- -From the Leica M6J brochure 910 550 (IX/94/GX/B)

snip
To mark the fortieth anniversary of the market launch
of this milestone in the history of 35mm photography,
the Leica Camera GMBH is producing a special limited
edition of 1640 LEICA M cameras documenting the specialities
of the rangefinder system in general and the tradition
of the LEICA M in particular.
snip

- -From LEICA Magic Moment 40 years Leica M

snip
Too good for the show case.

The special series for the 40th anniversary
of the Leica M is the symbiosis of the modern
technology and tradition consciousness,
not only satisfying photographer's practical
requirements but also the aesthetic desires
of collectors.
snip

I think it was a gift that Leica made to them'selfes
because I don't see how it was possible to make money
from such a small run, even at that price.
(New tools, etc..)

Or a test (expensive) of the 0,85 viewfinder. ;-)

Lucien