Subject: [Leica] Autofocus and Leica
From: "James Burris" <jabu@direct.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 09:26:16 -0700

Man I can't believe I arguing in favor of AF!  but here goes...

	In addition to the Contax AX being extremely bulky, the AF performance is
only suited to static environments.  Now is that a shortcoming of the
design, or can it be greatly improved?  Who knows?  It is a combination of
its AF performance plus the bulk that makes me think it not a worthy
design.  Although it IS a engineering marvel.

	Next point, is that while AF is a useful  for sports, there are also an
awful lot of nature photographers who like to shoot wildlife and AF is just
as useful here.  So why should Leica ignore such a large potential market?
My suggestion for Leica is not an entire new line of AF lenses, as I don't
think the demand would be there as Mr. Grant so eloquently pointed out.
Besides how many people really need AF wide angle lenses?  If Leica came
out with AF versions of the 90, 180, and 280,  I think that this would
potentially open up a whole new market for Leica.  Imagine... Leica optics
with Canon-like AF speed for shooting  the kids at Christmas time, or
shooting eagles at the local zoo.  I know I'd be interested (hmm maybe I'm
getting a little carried away?).

James