Subject: Re: [Leica] Need meter recommendation.
From: Paul and Paula Butzi <butzi@halcyon.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 11:17:21 -0700

At 10:10 AM 5/22/98 , you wrote:
>Jim,
>What do you mean *corrected for color use*?  Could it be used unmodified for
>metering highlights of a scene when exposing chrome films?
>Bud
>
>Jim Brick wrote:
>
>> I use the old (but still current) Pentax Spot meter, corrected by Zone VI
>> for color use.
>
>> [Snip]
>
>> Jim

What Jim is referring to is the fact that Zone VI have modified the meter
so that the spectral response of the meter matches the spectral response
of black and white film (specifically Tri-X Pan).  Along with making the meter
more accurate for B&W work, it means that you can meter through filters
rather than using filter factors (for B&W).

Zone VI also install a different sensor and baffles to cut flare and improve
linearity.

[Note also that although Jim describes the meter as 'basically analog, even
though
it shows numbers and dots', the meter he's referring to is a Pentax Digital
Spot,
which is substantially smaller (and more shock resistant) to the Pentax
analog version (with the meter needle).

Great meter.

- -Paul