Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Shopping on the ebay
From: david place <dvplace@top.net>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 06:51:02 -0500

Lee Yan Zhan wrote:

> The key here is to check the seller's feedback before purchasing.

> Personally, I prefer the freelance
> dealers in the ebay, they are normally quite responsive and friendly.

You really have to know what you are doing here ... it is easy to get into the
thrill of the chase and over bid on something  ...  the bidding itself can be
fun ... but watch the price.Also ... having the star next to your name is nice
... but there are also bidders and sellers just starting out ... last week I
put six Leica books on Ebay ... all six were offered elsewhere and did not sell
... I placed a reserve on each one so that they would not go for less than I
could sell them to a dealer for ... four of the books passed the reserve ...
two by a comfortable margin [about what I would expect to get for them] ... and
two went somewhat higher ... one was inscribed by the author [and how do you
value that?] ... it came close to the reserve [after eight bids] ... I emailed
the highest bidder and we split the difference ... he now has an interesting
book and I have room on my shelf ...
one book received no bids at all [does anyone not have a Leica 50th anniversary
catalog ??? ] .... alltogether, I am pleased with ebay ... but remember those
auctions only ended yesterday .......
As a buyer: I purchased an extension tube that I need ... it ran in the middled
of what dealers list them for but is said to be like new in the box ...
shipping was reasonable [have you shipped anything recently / $7.00 barely
covers a body or lens] ... also got a logo keychain [N] which I havent seen
elsewhere ... anyhow ... give it a chance ... but be careful and watch yourself
... have fun, dp