Subject: Re: [Leica] Elitism and the PRO
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@vaggeryd.mail.telia.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 10:34:47 +0200

> Fr=E5n: Eric Welch=20
> None of the above. The definition I hear is one who makes a majority
(more
> than 50 per cent) of their income from photography. Seems reasonable
to me.

Seems reasonable to me too, Eric, but nevertheless as a definition it
is quite wrong.  Lord Snowdon for instance had family money as did
Cecil Beaton to name just two.  Then there are the photographers who,
like actors, take on jobs waiting on tables so they can buy film.  By
definition a definition should be absolute, which is why I prefer the
label Working Photographer because it avoids the Elitism of the word
Professional.=20

Try and wiggle out of that one  :-)

Alan Hull