Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Elitism and the PRO
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:58:41 +0000

Alan Hull wrote:

> The plutocrats of photography are in advertising and
> they dont buy 35mm.

The list of those who shoot 35mm (only or mostly) for advertising would
be long.  For old timers: Jay Maisel, Pete Turner.  Richard Hamilton
Smith, David Stoecklein, Al Satterwhite, Jeff Smith, Jody Dole and many
more I can't think of immediately.  And most advertising stock
photography of people and places is 35mm.   I spoke a while back with
Peter Miller in LA.  He does Nike stuff including billboards.  "If I
can't shoot 35mm, they'll have to get someone else," he said.  Another
photographer from NYC once told me he had just bought medium format--for
clients outside NYC who still didn't understand.

 donal
(who shot 4x5 for the first time in a long time on Friday--of a
building--and will be paying rent on time!).
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego
http://www.donalphilby.com