Subject: [Leica] kids and photography
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 22:58:21 -0400

Nathan wrote:

>I do involve him in the photography--I often take him with me on
"expeditions"
>and he also has his own P&S camera. And one of the reasons I started usi=
ng
>digital printing is that the children (I also have a 4-year old) can be
around
>me when I am manipulating pictures on the computer.>>>>>>>

My younger daughter, now 10 years old, has become quite excited about our=

expeditions.  The trick is to tailor them to her attention span.  We've
visited a beaver pond, an owl's nest, and numerous other wildlife
areas nearby.  Even when she was 6 she could see the difference between =

my Leitz Trinovid binocs and other brands (and she was holding the 10x40s=
 =

steady).  I bought a used N**** FG for the family to use; my wife and old=
er

daughter have decided it's too complicated and are using P&S cameras.  =

The FG, by default, is the younger daughter's camera.

The little one is delighted with the FG and is equally comfortable with =

her grandmother's N*****mat FT2, except for its weight; yet, after her
Trinovid experience she recognizes that Daddy's cameras are the really =

good ones.  She knows what possesions of mine she wants when I pass on:
the piano and the Leicas.

She has to be in charge of the camera, not letting it make decisions for =

her.  She insists on knowing everything about how it works: the shutter, =

aperture, viewing system, how different focal lengths affect the image =

size.  She can't just accept the fact that it works, she has to know all =

about HOW and WHY it works.  She drives me crazy and I love it.

Ted wrote:

>And that's why I say, there isn't anything greater than involving your
>children in your "hobby" of photography, Leica or otherwise. Hell you
don't
>have to read  articles on "bonding" to tell you how to get close to your=

>kids, photography did it long before the word "bonding" meant anything
more
>than, "gluing something together!" :)

Kelsey and I are inseperably glued together.

Doug Herr