Subject: Re: [Leica]plutocrats
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 16:25:28 -0500

OK Adrian and others,  I'm not often right but I was wrong that time.
I can't help feeling that standards are falling rapidly and the
customer is being cheated.  Donal even mentions one charlaton producing
billboards from the 35mm negative.  These must be the ones I see in bus
shelters in Sweden.  If you are waiting for the bus it is impossible to
even detect form.  You have to stand on the other side of the street.
<<<<<<<<<<

Alan,

I work as Production Manager of a large ad agency in Kansas City, an ad
agency with some large national corporations as clients.  We are producing
campaigns for a couple of those corporations which include 38 inch tall
posters and 12 foot wide banners, and every image is shot on 35 mm. As
various pieces have been produced, I've warned all involved that, in some
cases, they'll see film grain the size of their knuckles. And the account
executives and art directors are so enamored with the photos, they don't
care. So I have posters with blurry images and banners with grain the size
of my knuckles which everyone else around here think are terrific.

As you said, "standards are falling rapidly."

By the way, one of these campaigns included a shoot of horses in Montana by
the same photographer who shoots for a cigarette company (which turns his
35 mm slides into billboards). We paid him $80,000 for the shoot. I want
that job.

Larry