Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: R8 design, Erwins design review
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 10:40:10 +0100

Danny wrote:

>While I agree that the R8 is an odd looking camera, the thing that makes
>it ugly isn't its
>shape at all (which gives an aggressive feeling, like a Lamborghini
>Countach). It's that
>chrome sparkly band under the top plate (that surrounds the camera), which
>imparts a
>very un-Leica-like quality, much akin to a Cadillac with a fake sunroof
>and chrome
>wheel trim rings. Lose that one design element and the camera is a
>quintessentially
>German design that fits right into the historic lineage, alongside the
>Exacta 66 and the
>Contarex Bullseye.

Which begs the question:

If the R8 is "a quintessentially German design", what is the M3?

Maybe there are two threads of German camera design - the 'brutalist'
(Christian's word), and the classical.

You could, perhaps, soften the R8 a bit by providing lenses with fake fur
focussing rings ;-?

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst