Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: R8 design, Erwins design review
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 08:15:37 -0600

- -----Original Message-----
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
>While I agree that the R8 is an odd looking camera, the thing that makes it
ugly isn't its
>shape at all (which gives an aggressive feeling, like a Lamborghini
Countach). It's that
>chrome sparkly band under the top plate (that surrounds the camera), which
imparts a
>very un-Leica-like quality, much akin to a Cadillac with a fake sunroof and
chrome
>wheel trim rings.

I don't mind the flat-top R8, I just wonder why it needed all of the bulk
and curves when it doesn't house a lot of batteries or motors: The Cadillac
Catera (Opel Senator?) doesn't look too bad, just a bit large :-)

>I will agree entirely on the one point: The R4 was much easier to love as a
'pretty'
>camera.

World's full of pretty things which ultimately disappoint! Best are those
things (and people?) which maybe seem a little odd at first, but which, over
time, prove their correctness. Lend me an R8 and a half-dozen lenses for
awhile, and I'll let you know what I think. Due to obvious safety concerns,
equipment cannot be returned.

Jeff