Subject: [Leica] Re:was Ted & Marvins Habits
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 19:49:02 +0100

Marvin wrote:

<<<<FOR THIS REASON,  I then carried a body for each lens, when ever I
could. This was not as expensive as it would seem today, as I didn't use
the newest, "state of the art" lenses & could buy a Leica with 3 lenses for
what just one M6 body cost today.

Hi Marvin,

I've always hated fiddling and changing lenses, it's nothing but a big pain
in the butt and too many missed picture opprtunities with one body and half
dozen lenses.

Sometimes I work with three R cameras and two M cameras or vise versa all
at the same time hanging from one part of my anatomy or appendages. Besides
I hate those big camera bags guys carry around with their lifes equipment
just taking up space in a crowd or due to their inability to make their
minds up about what they are going to shoot or know they have to shoot.

By the same token I know when to just take an M6 and the Noctilux and
quietly do my thing quite unobtrusively.  When I work with several cameras
it's much like a painter working with a number of brushes, each one gives a
special kind of stroke as the painter works his/her way across the canvas
creating the final image or essay.

In my shooting, I'm constantly on the move watchig the light, the action
and recording everything that motivates me as well as moving with the
subject. Sometimes it's a 280 used at it's closest focus point to capture
only the subjects eyes or hands or quickly taking the camera with the 15mm
to do something wide and framed tightly in very cramped quaters.

I'm something like "fluid in motion" as a doctor said one day after spnding
14 hours from start to finish during operations and post op. :) "I've never
seen anyone flow around an OR like you've done all day and yet not be in
the way nor making the staff aware of your presence." "Your fluid in
motion!" :)

I figure that's a great compliment for a photographer to receive in being
invisable and doing his job. :)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant