Subject: Re: [Leica] Ernst Hartmann on the Leicaflex SL
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 01:47:11 EDT

The SL2 has been commonly regarded as the pinnacle of the Leicaflex camera
line.  Collector's have always held it in high regard, and the value of SL2's
has always been higher than a comparable condition SL.

But, in talking to many Leica experts whose opinion I value, I would agree
that the SL is truly the highpoint of this series.  I remember once asking
Ernst Hartmann on a visit to Northvale which camera he liked best in the Leica
line.  He enthusiastically gave his endorsement of the SL.  He claimed there
is no other camera built as well as the SL.  Apparently, when the SL2 went
into production, the co-operative agreement with Minolta had begun to have
effect on Leica models then in production.  The SL2 incorporated a number of
parts supplied by Minolta.  The SL was the last "pure" Leica reflex camera in
terms of its design and execution.

I still have my original two SL's, purchased new in the late 60's, a chrome
and a black paint model.  Despite much use, they are still in beautiful shape
and function perfectly after all these years.  Despite all the models that
have come along since, they still provide the essentials, just like the M
camera. They share the wonderful Leica feel of the M camera.  And they have
the great Leica spotmeter, almost twenty years ahead of it's time in
comparison to competing Japanese cameras.  Even though I now use an R8 and R7,
I still make sure my R lenses have the cams for use on the SL.  The only thing
lacking was a ratcheted advance lever as in the M's.

Long live the SL.

Bill Rosauer