Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: R8 design, Erwins design review
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 06:43:51 +0100

Danny wrote:

>The shiny crome stripe is only a bit less noticeable on the chrome camera,
>on the black one it's downright garish; it is a design element of all R8's
>though.
>
>Ted,    Try not to take criticism of the R8's design personally. Since you
>didn't design it, it seems odd that you've taken personal offense from the
>comments of people who don't love the shape.>>>>>

Hi Danny,

I just looked at the R8's sitting here and I don't see the "shiny crome
stripe>> you mention. It sure isn't on the black models I have here.

As far as taking the R8 negative comments as "personal" never entered my
mind as I took them being made by a number of people (not all)  making
comments about the camera without actually ever driven it. And certainly
fiddling in the camera store doesn't count!

It's like saying the "Concorde is the heaviest stupidest looking plane I've
ever seen" without ever flown in it! :) How's that for a camera--plane
comparison? :) In my book both are beauties!!!!! :)

Danny I really don't care personally what they say, as many negatives are
made by a few who don't own nor have used the camera, so their comments
really are like chaf in the wind.

If the camera was as  bad and such a big heavy beast, bulky, massive,
neandrathal that they say it is, Leica wouldn't be selling the great number
they are! And I don't have any doubt that when they finally get the motor
on the market the sales will climb.

It just seems from what I've read this past week and remembered from the
market appearance 2 years ago, it was the same whining without really using
the camera. Those of us who use it almost daily know from use, that the
results show without question  it's a very fine camera.

ted