Subject: Re: [Leica] Superb Leica R8
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 06:22:31 +0000

Eric,

> But I don't think that the discussion is all about aesthetics, though that
> was included, but ergonomics as well.

True that egonomics are part of the discussion and maybe even the larger part, big 'but'
is that I don't think that you can easily separate the issue of design from the issue of
ergonomy, as they're forever married by the designers intention (more so in modern
design than in older designs such as the M6).

The R8 design is a product of a German design aesthetic that has historic roots going
back to such cameras as the old Exa, and to see its obvious similarity of shape to such
odd, modern designs as the recent Samsung/Porsche point+shoot camera piques my
interest in a large way. My first impression of it was to think it a disaster. It wasn't until
the advertisement that everyone here hated so well, came out (with all of the strange
colors. Remember?) that I recognized the similarity of its aesthetic to that of the Exacta
66 camera - which I love the look of. When I took a closer look at the R8, I did it with
the intention of finding a better personal understanding of the designers intent. With
the exception of the chrome trim gasket, I found the camera much more interesting
from this point of view.

My reservations for the design come from the elements that don't make obvious sense.
Why is the camera so thick (this is what I believe was cramping Larry's hand)? Why does
the right hand grip protrude so far when the body is thick enough already? What
purpose does the chrome trim ring serve? The top plate is made almost flat with the
prism top and there's no obvious reason why that was done, even though it caused the
designer to configure the rewind arm as a complex mechanism. Leica is proud of that
fact but it seems unnecessary. Why'd they do it?

In deference to R8 owners who're uncomfortable with remarks such s these, Leica made
a declarative statement about where they see camera design in the future and took a
leading role in requesting that the industrial designers at Canon, Nikon and Minolta
rethink the 'Speed Racer' aesthetic direction they're all headed in. (To think that design
convention started with Guigiaro's Canon T90 is almost amazing: How do you get to
the horrific A2E from the finesse of the T90?)
The R8's shape is well thought out and could easily be thought of as a revolutionary
turning point in the future. The real question in my mind is: Will it, or is Porsche's
Contax design team (who're oddly more conservative than Leica in this instance) finally
going to lead the way?

Danny Gonzalez