Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz and Leica Glass
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 00:14:49 +0100

Marc wrote

>But, yes, the issue IS important.
>It is a myth that Leica ever produced its own optical glass.
>I cannot understand why seemingly intelligent folks
>cannot understand the simple language that Leica uses,
>that they have never produced their own glass.  Period.

>Where is the mystery in all this?

Marc,

I'm not so sure that Leitz was so clear about that:

In his book, after the following, J. Eastland wrote:

This information* (*see at bottom this mail)
was supplied after persistent requests
by the author over a period of two years for the company
to clarify certain aspects of claims made in advertising
literature produced by the company.
In particular, of the document entitled:
'Leica Lenses for Optical Excellence'
List Nr. 110-190 published and printed IV/85.
On page 14 of this above document the text states,
'Optical glass of the highest quality, .... in
the priniple raw material, and some ten tonnes per year
are produced in our own factory, from formulations
originated by the Leitz Glass Research Laboratory'.
etc..snip

Marc,

That document (110-190) was widely distributed,
I have five of them myself (in French) received at
various occasions.

Lucien

*