Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Leica] Re: Stolen Goods]
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 06:40:37 -0700

Hi Dan,

I talked with the investigating detective on this and the authorities
were going to contact ebay and get all information on the seller.

I feel the authorities are the proper person(s) to advise ebay the
property is stolen.

I expressed my concern that ebay or the authorities should contact all
bidders and warn them not to transmit funds to the seller.

I was a bit surprised to see the auction closed early. I don't know if
seller or ebay ended the auction.  As a result of the closing I decided
it best to post the warning to members of the LUG.  I don't believe this
act will jepordize the police investigation.

What is 'most improtant'? I don't know, recovery of the  property,
protection of the bidders, apprehension, conviction, and hopefully
incarceration of the guilty parties.  These are all important in my
mind.

The original post of serial numbers was made by the Northern California
Leica rep.  In this case it was a good thing and I hope will continue.
When I saw the post I wondered if it might show up on ebay though a
criminal would be stupid to try  to sell it there.  Well, I think
criminals are stupid so why should I be surprised.  Stupid to risk
incarceration for a few bucks.

Regards,

Dennis