Subject: Re: [Leica] Powerful image
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 19:16:41 -0400

Five Senses Productions wrote:

> So are you implying that a powerful image can only be of a serious,
> dramatic, or emotional life experience?  Does this mean landscapes,
> nudes, or photos of children at play cannot be powerful?
>
> Francesco

SNIP

Francesco,

I think that some of Jock Sturges nudes of families and/or adolescents
as well as those of Sally Mann and her family also evidence
"powerfulness". Part of that power comes from the ambiguity that is
inherent in the photos. Some of that ambiguity stems from arousal, some
from the sense of innocence of the subjects, some from the sheer
technical mastery and control as well as a consistent body of work. Some
of the power of these nudes also comes from the sheer ease of the
subjects and how they relate to the camera; that it is not exploitative
but interactive; that they are outside mainstream culture and societal
impositions and values. But much of their power comes from the sheer
beauty, ease and feeling of knowing the subjects.

Carl Socolow

Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do.