Subject: Re: [Leica] Stolen Goods List - Not Workable Because -----
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 22:04:16 -0700

Leikon35@aol.com wrote:

>  This type of "Stolen Goods List" site has been discussed on other forums
>  and many authorities agree that it could probably cause more harm than
>  good, by allowing those devious types to just obtain S/Ns & descriptions
>  of items for sale and then say that it was stolen from themselves.

Saying is one thing, filing a false police report is another. I belive
that filing a false police report is a felony.  Granted that doesn't
seem to stop some people these days.  Still I see it as very difficult
for someone to match up dates and circumstances on a false report,

For example, I advertise a camera which I bought last year, a canceled
check substantiating the transaction. You, knowing nothing of the
circumstances of my accquistion file a police report stating it was
stolen, say last week.  Upon investigation the police ask why you took
so long to file the report, as you details of how you originally
accquired the camera, etc, etc.  It is a thin line you tread when you do
this, not to mention illegal.

Of course nobody wants the hassle so the don't list the last 3 digits.
Seems like this solves whatever problem you perceive of making public
lists of stolen goods.

I really question that a public list of stolen cameras would 'do more
harm than good'  I think your logic is flawed here.

Dennis