Subject: Re: [Leica] Funny Glass ?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 07:14:14 -0500

At 04:20 PM 6/3/98 +0900, you wrote:

>Why?  Our friendly photons don't know or care whether the glass was
>poured in the suburb of Tokyo or Wetzler.  To me, a piece of engineering
>is just not about where the components are made.  It's the
>implementation and and execution that really matter.  If Hoya is capable
>of producing elements consistently to the spec, I don't care if it's in
>my Summicron.

I would submit they aren't. They are a glass maker, not a lens maker. The
grinding, coating and other specs are done by Leica, unless Leica would
tell us otherwise. They don't seem embarrassed to say when it's being done
with other lenses. So why would they not with this lens? Did these people
making such a claim give any evidence besides hearsay? If so, let's see it.
Otherwise, let's not spread rumors.

Leica has specifically said what has changed was the metal parts, not the
glass parts. They have no agenda to hide their sources. Who would I
believe? Leica, or some camera salesman? I'd take Leica.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Actual newspaper headline, 1/17/77: "Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures"