Subject: [Leica] Soccer portraits in the shade.
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 9:33:36 -0500

I would try to keep your set up for taking those shots as simple as
possible. I would forget the flash unless you are used to using one in
that situation (it's one big potential mistake waiting to happen if the
power is too high) and forget the warming filter.  A large reflector
would be nice but isn't necessary as often there is house or buildings or
clouds that reflect light in anyhow.  I normally won't use a flash for
set-up outdoor portraits.

I prefer a Photoflex lite disk with one side silver and the other white
over a flash any day of the week.   But invest in a stand and a holder as
whoever you would get to hold it will probably move it out of position
1/2 way through the first picture.  (I used to spend as much time telling
them to move it back into position as directing the person I was
photographing.)  I like to work at the edge of shade, keep the background
as simple as possible.

Just about any decent print film will do, I'd recommend Fuji 100 or
whatever print film you've been getting good results from your lab.
 But DO NOT underexpose the film.

But in the end IMHO, two factors will determine how successful your
results are.

1) How good of a printing job your lab does, do they get the color and
density of the skin tones right???

2) How good are the expressions on the individual faces? What position is
their body in and what does the body language convey?

If you take the film to a second rate lab, or the girls all look fat and
bored,  The rest of your technique or equipment or background isn't going
to matter one bit.  I would prefer a SLR in this set up, just to confirm
the appearance of the background and a motor is nice so you have one less
thing to do.  But you can use Leica M if you are more comfortable with it
and keep the background simple enough.  Great expressions on the girls
faces will make them happy even if you take the pictures in a parking
lot.  SO......... concentrate more on that.

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador