Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux / Tom
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 18:50:05 EDT

<<  <<<  I took it off and threw it away >>>
  1. How ?
 2. Did it work without scratching the frame/ socket ?
  Alf >>

Alf, the hood has two components - the hood and the small plastic tab that
guides the hood located on the bottom side of the lens.  First I needed to
remove the hood part.  I did this by using a 30 watt soldering iron with a
very fine point.  I made a fine slice through the plastic, not going quite all
the way through.  I did this on the bottom side (over the plastic tab area so
that the head would not touch the lens barrel.  I then carefully twisted off
the hood and it broke along the cut line I made.  The tab itself is held on by
a small screw.  I unscrewed it, removed the tab and inserted the screw back in
the hole.

The result looks very good.  There are no scratches on the barrel (the hood
slides back and forth on a velvet runner to protect the barrel.  The lens
looks very nice without the hood. When I need a hood, I use a regular one.
The added advantage is that when I do not need a hood, there is less blockage
of the viewfinder.

Tom Shea