Subject: [Leica] Leicaflex & Leica R8. HELP!
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 1:33 +0100 (PDT)

Could someone please explain (ideally in words comprehensible to someone
who hasn't slept for 48 hours) about these here 'cam' thingumybobs on R
lenses?

I see '1 cam', '2 cam', '3 cam' and 'ROM' on lens advert listings. Now
despite the fact that I got my engineering degree back in
19-mumble-mumble, I think I know what a 'cam' is, and I can figure out
what the 'ROM' bit's about. But which lenses fit which bodies, and more
importantly which *don't*? I guess the ROM ones are for the R8, yes?

OK, I'll cut to the chase. I thought I might buy a Leicaflex SL, what
lenses fit that? More importantly, if I had the vague idea that I might
buy an R8 someday, are there lenses which would fit the SL, which would
also fit the R8 (perhaps with limitations on some functions) later on?

I saw my first *black* R8 today, and it does look nice. I *hated* the
chrome one I saw ages ago, perhaps these things grow on you...course it
would be better with a removable prism...