Subject: RE: [Leica] Capa
From: "B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 10:10:03 -0400

Dave - The "proof" to which I'm refering was reported in the May/June
American Photo, and apparantly there is a written piece and video tape on
the subject available at the Capra ICP exhibit. According to the AmPhoto
piece, the soldier has been identified and was the only person in his unit
killed on the day in question. There are other photos of him, very much
alive, earlier in the day in question.

I don't claim to know what the truth here is - but I would bet a lot of
Leica equipment on the fact that, if the photo is faked, it was not some
accidental goofing around, but rather was deliberately staged. Dying isn't
something people are likely to "goof around" about under those
circumstances.

On the other hand, given the entire body of Capra's work, I seriously doubt
the photo was staged.