Subject: [Leica] Re: New 50 R Summilux
From: John McLeod <johnmcleod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 12:43:32 +0000

While I, like most of you, await Erwin's report on the new 50/1.4-R lens, I
can say, based on testing four of them (yes four), that none of them were
particularly sharp at 1.4 or 2.0.  I have owned Canon and Nikon 50's that
were unquestionably sharper in the center of the field.  BUT, the Leica
lenses were very consistent and had several important positive attributes.
They were quite sharp at the edges of the field, better than the Nikon and
Canon lenses I have had.  They were also more contrasty at 1.4 than anything
I have seen from Nikon or Canon.  The color balance was superb and the light
fall-off at the edges was quite low, lower than Canon if not Nikon. So all
in all, the lens appears to be a great performer, but if center of field
sharpness wide open is your main thing, you may be slightly less than
thrilled.  I don't mean the above to be in any way definitive, but I did put
four new
Leica 50's through some tests with slide film, tripod, and 15x loupe.

John McLeod