Subject: Re: [Leica] Prints form slides
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 17:47:18 -0800

- --============_-1315111250==_ma============

>I would like to submit photos for publication.  However, most magazines
>only accept slides. and custom prints here in Vancouver run CDN$ 50
>(approx USD$ 35) for a 8x12.

When submitting photos for publication you submit the slide (or a high
quality dup). You don't submit a print.

> Is that a good deal?  I like having enlargements of my pictures always on
>>hand, but at $50 a pop, too expensive.  Any suggestions?

That's not the best deal that I've heard of--check out The Lightroom at
http://www.lightroom.com

They've made excellent prints from slides for me, but it's still not the
sort of thing I do with every photograph. I pick the ones that I really
like and want to hang on my wall or someone else's.

Before you invest in a bunch of cibachromes, however, I would put my slides
in archival sleeves, get a good loupe (Schneider 4x is nice), and a 5000K
light box. You can look at your slides any time you want and they'll never
look better. For showing photos to friends get a Pradovit P150 with the
90/2.5 Colorplan flat field (my new joy).

Of course, a lot of publications will take negatives nowadays since they
can be scanned and published as easily as slides. In that case a print is
better to send than the original. A good printer is someone you'll have to
search out locally--you won't get much from the corner one hour processing
lab. In fact you're lucky if your negs. don't come back with nice long
scratches on them from the roller processor or bizarre color castes from
improperly maintained chemicals.

- -Charlie
             Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Department
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074

         mailto:cdunlap@es.ucsc.edu

<excerpt>I would like to submit photos for publication.  However, most
magazines only accept slides. and custom prints here in Vancouver run
CDN$ 50 (approx USD$ 35) for a 8x12.

</excerpt>