Subject: Re: Was: [Leica] Noctilux Now: Summilux
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 17:23:00 -0500

At 09:33 AM 6/4/98 +0100, you wrote:

>The smaller optical register also leads to more compact lenses, which is
>one of the major ergonomic benefits of the M system, the original
>comment was

Okay, I agree with that. I thought it was leading to a claim of optical
superiority. That is no longer the case. But you are dead-on with this. On
the other hand, there are deficiencies in this design too. With my R8, I
can see my aperture in the viewfinder, and the shutter speed, and the
exposure in 1/2 stop steps. Plus a whole lot more data. And that data
wouldn't be there if the lens wasn't more complex. So there are pluses and
minuses to such design trade-offs between the M and R systems that make
them both compelling fine instruments to use. So I do. :-)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Asking if computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim.