Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG -- what's the point?
From: Paul Chefurka <pchefurk@Newbridge.COM>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 08:28:35 -0400

Paul and Paula Butzi wrote:

> If I really had some reason to believe
> that the rangefinder was out of whack,
> I'd stretch out a tape measure for 30
> feet or so, and then expose multiple frames
> of various marks on the tape, with the
> aperture wide open.

I just completed this very exercise with my M3.  It
works like a charm.  I showed me very clearly that
the rangefinder focus point was at the very front
fo the depth of field at f4 with at a focus distance
of about 10 feet with a 50mm.  At least now I'm sure
it's not me that's blowing all those frames!

One other thing that's helpful (especially if the
camera and lens is new and you don't know which
to mistrust) is to repeat the exercise with as
many lenses as you can.

Paul Chefurka