Subject: Re: [Leica] Staged or Candid (was another thing)
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@vaggeryd.mail.telia.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 22:01:36 +0200

From Dave Y
> I consider myself a photojournalist and
> stick to the usually strict ethics of the profession, but feel that
I'm too
> partial to have a firm grasp on whether people really care if an
image is
> staged or candid.
- -------------------------------------
Well I care very much if a NEWS image is staged or candid.  This is one
of the reasons I would never buy a tabloid (so called) newspaper like
the British XXX, because I think they will be one of the first to
manipulate digital photos of not so dramatic scenes.  It will require
more than ethics to stop some newspapers playing to the audience.

Such photos should be clearly labelled as manipulated or staged.
Newspapers are not comics.  I either trust them or I will not buy them.

But I have a question for you Dave.  As a photojournalist of strict
ethics, how much control of your image do you maintain after it has
passed your desk?  I am very curious and interested.  TIA.

Alan Hull