Subject: Re: [Leica] Prints from slides
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 08:14:17 +0000

LUGnuts,
Last Saturday I saw a print from a slide that absolutely knocked me
out.  It was shot on 35mm (Nikon) EPP (not noted for sharpness).  It was
16 x 20.  There was detail on the print that you couldn't see on the
slide with a good lupe.  Looked like is was made from a  4x5.

It was done by the new laser scan method where film is scanned and then
image laser burned onto regular R-type paper.  Absoluteably repeatable,
contrast can be controlled easily, detail you can't imagine.  About $50
and worth every penny.  Comparable in sharpness to Evercolor prints, but
not as archival.

The one I saw was done by Irvine Photographics, south of Los Angeles.
I'd love to try the same for BW--probably could on same machine, with
photoshop dodging and burning saved and repeatability.

One of the secrets, apparently, is not to scan too high--150 or even 72
dpi.

donal
- --
Donal Philby