Subject: Re: [Leica] Pradovit P150--and RT300
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 20:07:18 -0700

> From: Jeff S
>
> >I just got my new Pradovit P150 projector in the mail yesterday. I got
it
> >with the 90/2.5 Colorplan flat field lens. . .
>
> Thank you for that review, Charlie,
>
> I think Kodak makes a very solid, trouble-free mechanism, but I've never
> been really satisfied with the projected results, but recall being told
that
> Leica has a lens adaptor sleeve (plastic, uncataloged item, around $90)
> which will allow the use of their lenses, and I'm wondering if anyone's
> tried this, and can vouch for the results, as Carousel projectors do
appear
> for $20 from time to time.

Hi Jeff -

I found the best of both worlds recently with a used Pradolux RT300 ($260
thru eBay). It is the only Leica projector ever made that uses Carousel
trays. My Colorplan CF 2.5/90 lens does indeed fit inside a sleeve which
fits the RT300 lens holder/focus opening on the projector. I don't know if
the Colorplan lens  itself is especially built for the sleeve or is just
the standard Leica style. The sleeve is a gun-metal gray plastic with a
number 37133 molded on the outside. It fits just fine in my Kodak Carousel
projectors. It sure doesn't *look* worth $90, but it does the job.

The only other Leica Projector I have is a huge Model VIIIS that sits atop
a big blower motor and lets you project one slide at a time. It looks
really impressive beside my tiny "Cabin" 35mm slide projector, a little
1950's Swiss made wonder that fits in a box about half the size of a cigar
box.

The RT300 projects beautifully, but I have a question for the LUG. The
light path of the RT300 has the bulb facing at a right angle to the
condenser/film/lens light path. A special "dichroic" mirror sits at 45
degrees to reflect the bulb down that path. My mirror has a mottled
appearance with a green cast to it, which is probably reducing light output
and maybe even affecting the color. Does anyone know who carries the mirror
as a part? Can it be resurfaced? (Leica no longer carries RT300 parts).

So far, only two disappointments with the RT300: there is no storage for
the remote. I have opened the unit to blow out the dust and found lots of
empty room, but you have to carry the remote separately. Also, unlike the
newer Kodaks, this has the old Carousel mechanism (actually built by
Singer), where you have to turn the projector on in order to eject a slide
so you can turn the tray to the position to remove it. But projected Velvia
'chromes sure look great!

Regards,

Gary Todoroff