Subject: [Leica] capa, one more time
From: Yods1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 11:05:33 EDT

Hi there Eric,
I'm not the only one who saw it, there was a fair amount written about it in
the biography. The author ventured the suggestion that he actually
photographed two soldiers being killed, one after the other, in the same
fashion, in an event of extreme improbability. I find that too unlikely. And
it's Capa's committment to documentary work that makes me wonder whether it
was a mistake make back in New York with film that wasn't meant to be taken
seriously. I've had a few close calls of misinterperetation of what I'd shot
by editors, usually with a large amount of film shipped back on deadline, etc.
If he was out covering a war, they probably didn't have the luxury of getting
in touch with him for caption questions.
On a Leica note: I've arranged to try out the R8 with a few lenses--I hope the
19, 28, and 35 f2--through the local Leica rep, through a local camera store.
I'm inclined at this point to go with the R system because I've already got a
Mamiya 7 outfit and if I went M's I'd only have rangefinders. I think I'll
need more versatility if I go freelance someday...
Which of the R lenses are considered exceptional, especially among the wide-
angles? And, among the 19, 28, and 35 f2, can anyone tell me how I can be sure
to get the latest models via serial numbers?
And, what kind of professional support does Leica offer? I don't expect
anything like Nikon or Cannon but there should be something out there.
Looking forward to it...
Dave