Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Prints from slides
From: "Michael D. Turner" <mike@lcl-imaging.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 12:55:45 -0700

Pieter,
Your experience is quite different from Donal's. Frankly, I'm more
surprised by his story than yours.(Should check back and see if he
mentioned the lab). However, there are many factors that can affect
apparent sharpness, not the least of which is scan resolution--1500x2250
pixels is only a 3Mb file--you're right about pixelation being a major
factor. But even at high resolutions, sharpness in the original scan can be
impacted by mechanical and optical characteristics of the scanner itself,
not to mention flatness of the slide or negative. The problems of
magnifying these tiny little 35mm images to produce a sharp print with an
enlarger are greatly compounded when scanning. At high resolution, you also
begin to experience problems with excessive scanner sensitivity to such
things as dust, microscopic scratches, and, yes, even grain. Even under the
best of conditions--200Mb scan of 4x5 original with a high-end drum scanner
printed on a Durst Lambda, say at 16x20--the digital print doesn't have
quite the detail of an Ilfochrome printed from the same original. However,
it could actually appear to be sharper--many scanner operators routinely
apply "unsharp masking" to the scanned image.
IMHO, unless you have a serious need to manipulate your image, have a
custom enlarger-produced print made by a competent printer (person, that
is). You will be much happier with the results.
- -Mike

At 01:48 PM 6/6/1998 -0400, Pieter Bras, you wrote...
>Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Last Saturday I saw a print from a slide that absolutely knocked me
>>out.  It was shot on 35mm (Nikon) EPP (not noted for sharpness).  It was
>>16 x 20.  There was detail on the print that you couldn't see on the
>>slide with a good lupe.  Looked like is was made from a  4x5.

<snip>
<snip>