Subject: [Leica] lens choice (on-topic)
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@vaggeryd.mail.telia.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 08:48:18 +0200

LUGnuts
I have enjoyed the LUG because of the people on it, but have felt a bit
left out during the nuts & bolts threads, so I have decided to promote
my M2  to First Camera for a while and find out what all the hoo-ha is
about.  Is this the start of a long slippery slope to the poor house?

I need to know what is the maximum size a BW 35mm negative can be
enlarged before losing the edge.

Looking through my notes I see various sizes mentioned from 8x10 and
up.  So it seems to be a subjective thing, which means I have to do my
own test.  I intend to compare successive enlargements to an identical
image size from a 6x9 negative so I won't be fooled by a gradual
deteriation.  As the lens chosen is important I wonder which is the
better of my ancient Leica lenses,  They are.

Summaron 35 3.5 .... Summitar 50 2 ... Hektor 135 4.5.  The 6x9 and the
enlarger lenses are Schneider.  The Leica lenses are screw thread with
a metal bayonet thing welded to the M2.

I will go with the Summitar 50 if no one has an opinion on such old
equipment.

TIA
Alan Hull