Subject: [Leica] 1.5/9cm Summar
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 22:57:12 -0400

At 12:25 AM 6/8/98 +0100, Lucien wrote:
>He said that he made a test of both the
>Summar 9cm (541056) and Summarex 8,5cm.
>Result : the 9cm is a 8,5cm.
>It was a mistake that was corrected after.

The 9cm marking probably wasn't a mistake.  There was a war on and the lens
was apparently made for military use as a surveillance lens -- I believe
the surviving example lacks a diaphragm.

The marking was either deception or simply means that Leitz hadn't
determined the final specifications when this example was constructed.

But Leica, of course, doesn't make mistakes!  <big grin>

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!