Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica new normal Zooms capabilities, was:35-70/4.0 newest
From: Robert Rose <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 18:48:39 -0700

Jim wrote:
<<A great lens for those who don't use polarizers or lens hoods.>>

What are talking about?  The integrated lens hood on this lens never comes off the lens, and the front cap fits over it, much like the lens hoods on the newer M lenses.  It is a great hood, and I use it 100% of the time.

I use this lens with an R4s when I want flash indoors.  When was the last time you used a polarizer indoors with flash?

I have comparison chromes of this lens, an ASPH 35mm M, a 90 Elmarit-M, and a DR 50 Summicron.  It is most definitely in the same league as those lenses.

Bob Rose

At 01:37 PM 6/9/98 +0200, Lucien wrote:

>Am I the only one who never even 'think' to buy
>the 35-70/4 because of the lack of polarizing
>possibility, the f/4 and the separate lens hood ?
>
>Lucien

No Lucien, I've said this very thing many many times. This is a compromise,
I guess for price purposes, and indeed not worthy of the Leica heritage. It
looks to me like someone else designed it in total. Even the new 28/2.8 R
lens now has an integrated hood. I'll keep my old (German mount, E67) 35-70
thank you. Non rotating front element and extensible hood. Worthy of Leica.
Easy to use. Including polarizers. Which I nearly always use.

IMHO, this lens is intended for the P&S amateur market. A great lens for
those who don't use polarizers or lens hoods.

Jim