Subject: Re: [Leica] 21mm finders--choices
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:34:43 +0900

Charlie,

I have the Avenon 28mm finder, and from the outside it is identical to
the Avenon 21mm finder so I'll venture a guess that they have the same
features:

=46ramelines: yes
Metal: definitely yes, definitely heavy
Parallax tild adjustment: no
Bubble level: no

Contrary to Dan K's post, I quickly became unhappy with the view
through this finder.  It is not nearly as bright as the Leica
equivalent, there is much more distortion, and there is also a strange
yellow tint visible.

Remember that I'm comparing 28mm finders here.  But I doubt the Avenon
21mm would be any brighter or clearer (tint-free); for distortion we'd
need to hear from someone who's used both.

I have a Leica 21mm finder and a Contax 21mm finder.  The Leica finder
is brighter and I like the bright frame lines, but for the price the
Contax finder is a great deal.  IMHO it is much better optically than
the Avenon finder.

Good Luck!

PB

On or about 11 Jun 1988, Dan Khong wrote:

>>You might like to try out the AVENON 21mm finder.  It is nice and =
bright
>>and costs much less (prob. $150-200 new) than the leitz equivalent.

To which, on Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:04:42 -0800, Charles Dunlap
<cdunlap@emerald.ucsc.edu> replied:

>Is this the one that B+H sells as the 21mm finder (Japanese)?
>
>Framelines?
>Metal?
>Parallax tilt adjustment?
>Bubble level?